Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The beginning

At our last All Hands meeting for IT&S they announced the start of a new program called Flight Academy.  This would be a program available for all Information Technology employees in the division I work in via an application process.   The main purpose of the program is to strengthen each of us as an individual, both personally and professionally in certain skills and areas.

The areas they are targeting are:
  • Communication
  • Self & Others (Self-Awareness & Relationships)
  • Vision
  • Business 101
  • Execution
 At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to be involved.   How much work do I already have? Why would I want to add more?  Would I get anything out of it?   I hate group activities!!   OMG THEY WILL MAKE ME DO TOUCHY FEELY THINGS WITH OTHER PEOPLE!!   I have better things to do with my days than sit in meetings that I feel are a "waste of my time".  I bet they'll make me read *gag* self-help books. 

In typical Melissa fashion, I waited until a few days until the application was due before speaking with my manager to be sure she's okay with my application.   Then I waited....until the day it was due.   "OMG THE APPLICATION IS DUE TODAY!!!"

Not only was the application due (the easy part) but I also needed a letter of recommendation (also easy because my manager offered to write one...no work for me!) as well as:
  • A personal submission that provides insight into you as an individual—your interests, passions, priorities, motivators, de-motivators, etc.  The intent is to engage the selection committee and reveal/express yourself in a way that other components of this application do not permit. (This submission may take any form you like.  Feel free to be creative. If material exists on a website, provide a link.)
Did I mention this was a Friday?   Memorial Day weekend Friday?  Oh yes, I was taking the entire next week off?   Well I guess it's too late to apply!!!

HAHAHAHA!   No one would let me back out!  *sigh*  Plus I was really starting to want to be a part of this and could see the value in it.  The application was submitted with a "I swear I'll be here Tuesday morning with my personal submission!!"

Can't wait....  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment