I have a hard time describing myself. I mention that to the group in my presentation. The Saturday before the meeting (July 13) I took my grandma to a family reunion. People I haven't seen in years kept asking me questions. They all revolved around this general theme:
"Tell me about you."
"Uhhhhh....I work for a healthcare company doing computer work and I'm married and umm..... What about you?"
As mentioned in this post, I'm a show-er, not a teller. Everything from my personal life to helping people with issues at work to my desk at work. It's all show. If I want people to know more about me I do things to demonstrate it. If I feel like people don't understand something about me, I don't just tell them, I display it in some way.
Not to say I can't talk. Ha! I can do that too... As many people know. I'm a Gemini after all. We are two sides. Twins. Half crazy, half sane. Okay, most crazy, little sane.
The video of my presentation is 14 min long... 45 MB... So much for a 5 minute presentation....
And here we are!!
I was able to watch my presentation for the first time on Friday. I shared it with two co-workers on my team. They didn't pick out any of the things I bashed myself on. They loved the presentation. Me on the other hand noticed a few key things:
Bad things:
Ummm, ummm, ummm, ummm... Gosh!!! STOP SAYING UMMM!!!
I twiddled my left hand A LOT while I was singing. I wasn't even really nervous while I was singing. It was the play that really freaked me out. I find that very interesting.
I should not have been so nervous and giggly. I should have just started the play. I should not have paused when I messed up the words. I also should have just started singing. I told myself that I would NOT do any of that, but I did it anyway.
In my defense, I haven't done anything like that in a long time so it was very scary to me. But sheesh. I knew I was good and would do a good job. Why couldn't I have kept that confidence?
Good things:
Yes, there were good things. I kept my eye contact. I did it. I could have chickened out, ya know? I was different. I'm glad I didn't just do a regular presentation and put my own, unique spin on it. It was entertaining. And yes, it was good. I have nothing to be ashamed of.
I AM NOT CONCEDED! haha Thought I'd say that. :) I just try to be confident.
No comments:
Post a Comment